Wholesome fruit and nut cookies
These easy-to-make cookies are the perfect snack – why not treat yourself?
These delicious fruit and nut cookies from nutritionist Jacqueline Birtwisle will store in an airtight container for up to a week. The recipe makes 24 but if you just want 12 cookies, then freeze half the mixture after step 4.
125g wholemeal or spelt flour
150g jumbo porridge oats
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt
100g light brown sugar
4 tbsp maple syrup
1 large carrot, coarsely grated
100ml olive oil
100g chopped dried fruit – e.g. raisins, apricots, prunes, dates, mango
100g chopped nuts or seeds
Cacao and nut butter porridge
Adding cacao powder will make your porridge oats really tasty! Watch our video here.
How to make the cookies
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C or gas mark 4.
2. Put the flour, oats, bicarbonate and salt into a large mixing bowl.
3. Mix well with a wooden spoon to ensure that the ingredients are evenly distributed.
4. Add the remaining ingredients and mix.
5. Using a tablespoon, scoop the mixture into rounds on an oiled baking tray. You should be able to fit 12 on a large baking tray.
6. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes, or until they are just starting to set for a chewy cookie, or flip them over and return to the oven for a further three minutes to crisp underneath.