A quartet of crews through to semis at the opening world cup
The season’s international racing is underway. Several British crews were in action in Varese, Italy, this morning.
In nigh-perfect racing conditions, a trio of GB Rowing Team crews moved into the semi-finals of the season’s opening World Rowing Cup in Varese, Italy.
They finished ahead of Serbia’s Nenad Bedik and Milos Vasic, who were bronze-medalists at last year’s World Championships in Aiguebelette.
Reilly-O’Donnell and Tarrant are joined in the semi-finals by the second GB pairing of Oli Cook and Callum McBrierty after they finished third in Friday afternoon’s repechage, a repeat of their placing in the morning’s heats.
Nick Middleton and Jack Beaumont also went into the men’s double scull repechage – taking place on Saturday – after finishing fourth in a high-quality heat won by Croatian brothers Martin and Valent Sinkovic, the two-times World Champions who are now unbeaten in 19 races.
Beaumont is back racing after a serious injury sustained last summer and is returning to form.
The GB crew applied some good early pressure to South Africa’s Kirsten McCann and Ursula Grobler, bronze-medalists at the 2015 World Championships, but then found themselves pegged back by Elisabeth Woerner and Ilse Paulis of the Netherlands with 500m to go.
Piggott and Craig responded well, though, and won a sprint for the line to take the second qualifying place behind South Africa.
Zak Lee Green and Jamie Kirkwood were eventually comfortable runners-up in their lightweight men’s double heat after a tight first half to the race when there was little to choose between the leading four.
Ireland’s Gary and Paul O’Donovan eventually pulled away to take the win, with Lee Green and Kirkwood also easing into the semi-finals as they finished 15 seconds clear of the third-placed crew from the Netherlands.
FISA, rowing’s World Federation, has revised the racing schedule for tomorrow and Sunday because of predicted adverse weather conditions. Finals of the international class races will be tomorrow and the finals of the Olympic class races will be brought earlier on Sunday.
For full information visit: www.worldrowing.com
(Events featuring GB Rowing Team crews only. For full results – www.worldrowing.com)
Pair – Heat 1
1. Lawrence Brittain/Shaun Keeling (South Africa) 6:33.90
2. Niccolo Mornati/Vincenzo Capelli (Italy) 6:38.60
4. Antti Kilpelaeinen/Joel Naukkarinen (Finland) 6:50.40
5. Bartosz Zablocki/Rafal Hejmej (Poland) 6:56.07
6. Ales Zupan/Janez Zupan (Slovenia) 7:01.26
Pair – Heat 3
2. Nenad Bedik/Milos Vasic (Serbia) 6:37.10
3. Alexandr Stradaev/Grigorii Shchulepov (Russia) 6:42.00
4. Felipe Leal Atero/Oscar Vasquez Ochoa (Chile) 6:46.84
5. Onat Kazakli/Fuad Rafail (Turkey) 6:46.97
6. Sjoerd De Groot/Ruben Knab (Netherland) 7:02.46
Double sculls – Heat 1
1. Martin Sinkovic/Valent Sinkovic (Croatia) 6:11.56
2. Kjetil Borch/Olaf Tufte (Norway) 6:14.46
3. Dawid Grabowski/Dominik Czaja (Poland) 6:15.50
5. Joaquin Montero Gomez/Aleix Marti Roura (Spain) 6:33.45
6. Sten-Erik Anderson/Oskar Kuzmin (Estonia) 6:39.90
Double sculls – Heat 3
1. Kirsten McCann/Ursula Grobler (South Africa) 7:01.98
3. Elisabeth Woerner/Ilse Paulis (Netherlands) 7:04.34
4. Annie Svensson/Emma Fredh (Sweden) 7:31.93
5. Melita Abraham/Josefa Vila Betancurt (Chile) 7:46.79
Double sculls – Heat 3
1. Gary O’Donovan/Paul O’Donovan (Ireland) 6:27.07
3. Berend Mortier/Ivo De Graaf (Netherlands) 6:48.24
4. Felipe Cardenas Morales/Bernardo Guerrero Diaz (Chile) 6:50.21
5. Artur Mikolajczewski/Milosz Jankowski (Poland) 7:24.75
Pair – Repechage 1
1. Martin Lasserre/Rodrigo Murillo (Argentina) 6:30.39
2. Alexandr Stradaev/Grigorii Shchulepov (Russia) 6:31.29
4. Ryszard Ablewski/Piotr Hojka (Poland) 6:40.96
5. Ales Zupan/Janez Zupan (Slovenia) 6:41.24
6. Onat Kazakli/Fuad Rafail (Turkey) 7:00.47
For background information about the The GB Rowing Team contact the Press office firstname.lastname@example.org or 07831 755351
For picture requests please contact: GBRTpressoffice@gbrowingteam.org.uk
GB Rowing Team website, including full rower biogs: www.gbrowingteam.org.uk
Follow us on