Rowers recognised at the 2013 SJA awards
The Sports Journalists’ Association (SJA), GB’s largest national organisation for professional sports journalists, held its annual awards luncheon in London on Thursday 12th December.
In 2012 the prestigious J.L. Manning award was presented to Lord Coe. This year it was awarded to Dame Di Ellis DBE, Honorary President of British Rowing for her ‘outstanding contribution to sport off the field of play’. Dame Di received her award from Katherine Grainger, CBE, who, as the SJA reports, said;
“I’m only sorry you had to wait so long before the British women’s team won an Olympic gold medal. Had we won gold sooner, you might have been able to retire earlier.” Welcomed on to the stage by an imposing “guard of honour” made up of members of the British Rowing squad, including members of three world champion crews, Dame Diana’s first response was, “I’m living proof that you don’t need to be big to be a rower.
The Chairman’s Award, presented by David Walker, went to Helen Glover and Polly Swann. Other awards on the day.
- The National Lottery Spirit of Sport Award: Sir Ben Ainslie
- Bill McGowran Trophy for the disability sport personalities of the year: Hannah Cockcroft and Aled Davies
- The SJA Committee Award: Nick Matthew
- Pat Besford Award for the outstanding performance of the year: Christine Ohuruogu
- Peter Wilson Trophy for the international newcomer of the year: Charley Hull