Britain has two boats through to finals of Youth Olympic Games
Britain has two boats through to the finals of the inaugural Youth Olympic Games in Singapore.
Ed Nainby-Luxmoore and Caspar Jopling were second in their men’s pair semi-final this morning at Marina Reservoir to reigning world junior champions Michalis Nastopolous and Apostolos Lampridis of Greece. Turkey were third in this semi-final in a photo-finish with Croatia.
The GB women’s pair of Fiona Gammond and Georgia Howard-Merrill were made to fight hard for their third place finish today to take them into tomorrow’s final.
They were off the pace and behind early race leaders Romania and Bulgaria at the 500m mark before Italy and GB made a move. Italy were first to succeed overhauling the Romanians and Bulgarians to win by a length. GB were left to tussle with Bulgaria to the line for the vital third qualifying slot – taking the verdict by just 15 hundredths of a second.
SCROLL DOWN FOR MORE
(Events featuring GB crews only. For full results
1. Elena Coletti/Giada Colombo (Italy) 3:37.29
2. Ana Gigica/Madalina Buzdugan (Romania) 3:40.67
3. Georgia Howard-Merrill/Fiona Gammond (GREAT BRITAIN) 3:41.18
4. Teodora Gesheva/Petya Mavrova (Bulgaria) 3:41.18
5. Beatrix Heaphy-Hall/Eve McFarlane (New Zealand) 3:41.92
6. Nimmy Thomas/Sekhar Deo (India) 4:02.77
1. Michalis Nastopoulos/Apostolos Lampridis (Greece) 3:15.02
2. Ed Nainby-Luxmoore/Caspar Jopling (GREAT BRITAIN) 3:17.37
3. Onat Kazakli/Ogeday Girisken (Turkey) 3:18.19
4. Mile Cakarun/Mate Ledenko (Croatia) 3:18.36
5. Yasin Khan/Gurpreet Singh (India) 3:24.64
6. Asier Alonso/Ander Zabala (Spain) 3:27.59